Top 10 Road Trip Tips for You and Your Family
Here are ten tips to help you avoid unwelcome surprises along the way.
Summer is a great time to pack the car and take a road trip.
- Keep your wheels rolling. Check your tires – including your spare, to be sure they are properly inflated and that the treads are not worn down to an unsafe level. Also check the spare just in case you need to use it.
- Give your car a pre-trip checkup. Check your fluids, windshield wipers, lights, and more! Before you head out, be sure your car does not need maintenance. Check your oil, fill the gas tank and the windshield washer fluid, check the coolant and be sure your lights and signals are all working properly.
- Be prepared. Pack an emergency kit, including a first aid kit, flashlight, bottled water, blanket and road flares.
- Don’t get lost. Map your route and if your car does not have a GPS, consider buying one or download an app to help you find your way.
- Check your glove box. Make sure your insurance and registration are up to date, and you have the necessary paperwork to prove it.
- Pack some snacks. Especially if you are travelling with children, be sure to pack some snacks to tide you over in case it takes you longer than you thought to get to a planned rest stop.
- Keep your phone charged. You never know when an emergency will come up and you will need to call for assistance. Be sure to pack a car charger just in case you need to recharge along the way.
- Consider investing in a roadside assistance plan. It will come in handy if you need a tire changed, battery charged or an emergency tow. Vehicle service contracts, like the ones offered by Toco, typically include roadside assistance and can help you avoid unexpected covered car repair bills along the way.
- Have a plan. Identify stops along the way and be sure to leave a copy of your itinerary with a friend or relative.
- Have Fun! Enjoy the sights and pack some travel games to keep everyone entertained along the way.